Gun Club
Follow Us On:

Personal protection ammo

Relating to all shotguns

Personal protection ammo

Postby SBeery » Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:04 am

I want to see what everybody's idea is on the proper loads for a shotgun to be used as a primary home defensive weapon?

Please give types, lengths, shot type, and arrangement of loads to be kept for personal defense in an urban environment setting and also in a multiplex or apartment setting? Have fun! :roll:
Sean Beery
Director
VCGHC
"Stay Alert, Stay Alive"
"Pain is Weakness Leaving The Body"
SBeery
Chief Range Safety Officer

Re: Personal protection ammo

Postby jgatlin » Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:19 am

In the house #7 1/2 shot walmart special. :) it wount go through your entire house and hit the neighbors or your kids.
Oh, wait you also mentioned urban area, there I would go for 00 buck mixed with 1 oz slugs so you can get em on the other side of the car.
Last edited by jgatlin on Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Gator needs his gat now! punk ass, bitch!"
jgatlin
Range Safety Officer

Postby SBeery » Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:51 am

lol, sound about right
Sean Beery
Director
VCGHC
"Stay Alert, Stay Alive"
SBeery

Postby drjpark » Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:13 pm

I use #4 buck in my 12 g pump so I get them thru the wall of the house. I DO NOT HAVE CHILDREN ONLY MY WIFE AND SHE IS ARMED WITH A 9MM Glaser bullets in a SW auto and a laser sight.
drjpark
Range Safety Officer

Postby ASnider » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:32 am

Currently shopping for a shotgun to pull double duty as HD and an occasional dove/quail gun. I used to have a Rem1100 skeet with a pistol grip shoulder stock (a necessity for me actually) that I used exclusively for hunting, but that was 20 years and a divorce ago.

I'm looking at this (Florida Gun Exchange has them for ~$400):

As far as HD ammo, I've always leaned towards smallish buckshot in 2 3/4" loads. Typically, Federal Premium #4 buck.

Postby SBeery » Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:06 am

thanks for the pic and the input. I also like the lighter birdshot loads for SD in the home because I have a son and daughter at the other end of the house. :thumbup:
Sean Beery
Director
VCGHC
"Stay Alert, Stay Alive"
SBeery

Postby Kirk » Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:22 pm

I like Remington HD Ultimate Home Defense 2 3/4s in the magazine. They are mixture of #2 and #4 buckshot, that hopefully won't penetrate walls too much.
I have Centurion Buck and Ball on the rail, in case they are stacked three deep behind the front door or if they make it behind hard cover .LOL. The Centurion rounds are 1 65" lead ball with 6 #1 buckshot pellets. Both are for a pump riot 12 gauge. Kind of exotic I know, but I don't mind spending extra on home defence rounds.
I also like to keep a supply of OO Buck, Rifled Slugs, and Target Loads.

Info on Remington HD Ultimate Home Defense:
http://www.remington.com/products/ammunition/shotshells/home-defense/home-defense-loads.aspx
Info and Reviews on Centurion Buck and Ball: Image
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/AMM823-5.html
Last edited by Kirk on Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:26 am, edited 5 times in total.
Kirk
Range Safety Officer

Postby Florida_Nuge » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:49 pm

At the Volusia County Sheriff's Training facility they trained us on 00 buck shot. I have mixed feelings about it. I feel that buckshot is great when you are blasting through a bunch of inmates in a prison riot, but for home defense it is questionable because all it takes is one of those steel balls to get off course just a little bit bounce off something such as the tile floor and hit another member of your family. In such a case of a confined area with "friendlies" in the area, perhaps rifled slugs would be the preferred method to take-out the bad guys.
Florida_Nuge

Postby FEENTS » Tue May 20, 2014 9:03 pm

I have done almost endless testing on this subject over several yrs. ..personally, rather than worry about (missing the threat and) over-penetrating barriers in the home, I prefer to begin with a short weapon that can be moved through the home easily ( I have a Rem 870 14in brl) and equip the shotgun with a tactical light . Next is to hit the threat and keep the pattern on target. Federal buckshot WITH FLITE CONTROL WAD is a winner. The 00 "low recoil" load in 12 ga from my cyl bore 14" will keep all 9 pellets in a perfect round group inside the head of a B-27 at 15 yds....an 8in pattern ! The 00 "high vel" load with flite control is a tad less consistent in patterning, but nearly as tight. This is 2X TIGHTER PATTERN than the standard Federal Classic 00B ammo. Even at 25yds, the pattern is contained in the 8-ring of the B-27, with a pellet moving into the 9-ring occasionally with the High Vel FlteControl. I would never use anything smaller than #1B . Small birdshot can be devastating really close in sometimes, but a bit farther, makes for a very angry badguy. Thing to remember is plain lead pellets will flatten and slow down in flesh, a great thing. "Premium" copper or nickel plated buckshot will not deform nearly as much, and of course penetrate much more. From a short barrel, such as my 14in, even std 1oz.foster slugs do not over-penetrate. I have shot yearling deer directly under my treestand (with the 14in) and even the W-W high vel slugs never passed through ! The "low recoil" variety penetrate less. Slugs are loaded to have optimum velocity in like 24 in barrels, and lose much velocity every couple inched less. I spent alot of time and ammo trying to convince my Agency to re-think their shotgun theology (which was out of the stone age). Good luck Sean
FEENTS
Range Safety Officer

Return to Shotguns