Gun Club
Follow Us On:

Long Range Shoot - Evening of Oct. 18th, 4:00p to dusk

Upcoming Events at the VCGHC and elsewhere

Long Range Shoot - Evening of Oct. 18th, 4:00p to dusk

Postby goettschvcghc » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:35 am

Our first two evenings have been a lot of fun, so were doing it again. Next time will be held Monday afternoon Oct. 18th, 2010 at an earlier time of 4:00pm (days are getting shorter). Mark your calendars.

Agenda for next time:

1. Cold Bore (CB) Shot, could be at any distance from 50y to 300y, for fun or $1/ea. Pot
2. Zero conformation period
3. Move to 800 and 1000y, A few fun targets will be used
4. We are testing spotting scopes, bring what you have!

There is a $5 fee for the LR shoot (goes to buying steel) and $1 buy in for the CB shot.

If anyone would like the steps I use for obtaining good ballistic data at extended ranges, please let me know. If you don’t have a caliber that covers the distance, please look into borrowing a rifle from someone. Generally, I consider shooting above 700y needs a .243 Win or larger.

Would like to remind eveyone to confirm scope linearity and elevation/wind (at various distances) repeatablity before next time; if questions drop a line.

Important note: Please let me know directly, by email or cell (send a note on the forum and i'll get you my contact info), if you will attend any Long Range shoot in the future. Once shooters are checked in, I need to lock the front gate. This is of course for safety reasons. Sorry for this, it's the only way.

Bring the ammo your rifle loves to eat, and we will see you there.

Scot
goettschvcghc

Re: Long Range Shoot - Evening of Oct. 18th, 4:00p to dusk

Postby TANSLEY » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:37 pm

Scot, lets try shooting groups at 321 yards (the car) or more? Could we add this to the $1.00 a piece pot luck shoot out or make it some type of event?
TANSLEY

Re: Long Range Shoot - Evening of Oct. 18th, 4:00p to dusk

Postby goettschvcghc » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:19 am

We will be shooting 1 MOA squares, at 300y for the CB event. Note that the enviromentals have changed from shooting the summertime. Relative humity and temperature will shift the POI, check your data. any questions send a PM.

We will step through the distances above 300y to confirm everyone's data before going to the next distance. Please come prepared with data for your rifle and ammo. This is a long range event, so spreading our wings up to 1000y is important to test safely, then we can work on any number of other skills/exercises in future shoots.

Scot
goettschvcghc

Return to Events